Strength and durability are at the heart of every Appleman and every Appleman is built on the “Carbon Everything Design” platform.
The Carbon Everything Design is the root design that every Appleman frame is built on top of.
Appleman Bicycles takes no shortcuts when it comes to frame design and construction. This new design shies away from generic aluminum frame parts and replaces them with custom carbon fiber frame parts made in-house at the Appleman Bicycles workshop!
Aside from an increase in strength and durablility, carbon frame parts also reduce weight.n Our experience has shown that carbon fiber is best bonded to itself (not aluminum) to create an amazingly strong, unified, carbon fiber structure.
The Carbon Everything Design consists of the following frame parts:
- Custom molded dropouts are made entirely out of carbon fiber and are stronger than aluminum
- The carbon fiber dropouts are molded directly onto the to the seat and chainstays with a carbon fiber laminate. Aluminum dropouts rely only on an epoxy bond
- Dropouts use a widely available, replaceable derailleur hanger made by Paragon Machineworks
- Worried about your rear wheel crushing the carbon fiber dropout? We broke our steel test fixture during the compression strength test of the dropouts. You’ll break the quick release skewer prior to damaging any carbon!
Super Svelte Cable Stops
- Cable stops are strongest when molded to the tube with a carbon-epoxy laminate (not just bonded on, no rivets, no holes in the tube)
- Svelte because they are small, have smooth edges, and a very small footprint.
No Nonsense Internal Cable Routing
- Composite tubes guide full-length housing from one end to the other. No fishing for cables, no removing components to access/replace cables
- Internal guide tube is molded into the frame with a carbon-epoxy laminate for ultimate strength and durability.
PressFit BB30 Bottom Bracket Shell
- The bottom bracket shell is made out of carbon fiber and the bearings press directly into the shell
- The carbon shell bonds directly to the carbon layup for maximum strength and durability
- Lack of a metallic shell insert means no delamination and no corrosion
44mm Carbon Fiber Head Tube
- The headset presses directly into the frame
- No metal insert to delaminate
- 44mm headsets are fully replaceable (the cups/races on integrated headsets can not be replaced without getting a new frame)
- Accepts straight or tapered forks
- Custom molded asymmetrical brake bridges are just plain beautiful
- Provides a rigid platform for the rear brake
- Of course, the carbon likes to bond to itself better than an aluminum/metal insert… are you seeing a trend for carbon/carbon laminates?
- Our Appleman style logos are made out of carbon fiber. Every Appleman comes standard with carbon fiber logos you can feel!
- Custom colors and weaves are available
This carbon-centric design results in a frame that is 99.8% carbon fiber composite! The only metal parts are the aluminum replaceable derailleur hanger and water bottle mounts.
Strength and durability without compromise.